I have written one blog post a day for almost two weeks in the name of NaBloPoMo. Going in, I thought, surely this won’t be that hard? Just a couple paragraphs a day. Nothing like the challenge of NaNoWriMo (which I’ve never done).
I was wrong. True, it’s easier than NaNoWriMo in that I do not have as many words to write and can switch topics daily, but it’s also more difficult because it’s daily. There’s a calender on my blog that shows what days I post on. If I miss a day, then in my eyes that means I failed in NaBloPoMo. Though I’m glad I can switch topics every day, it also becomes harder to think of different things to talk about.
So here are some things I do to stay motivated:
- Rewards. This is anything from saying I can hang out with people after I post or that I can get food when I’m done with my draft.
- Just sit and write. Turn off all the distractions and have just this page open.
- Write between classes. Some days I have a half hour break that I just sit and write during.
- Write with coffee. I have coffee every day and I really like just sitting down and having a cup so I might as well write during this time that’s already put into my day.
- I don’t want to fail. This is a given (see second paragraph).
This is not an exhaustive list, but these are some things I do, and some tips as well I guess.
Happy writing to all!