I was nominated for the Blogger Recognition Award by Sarah at Traveling Across Pages so thank you so much! I have absolutely no clue who started this, but a giant thank you to them as well.
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog
- Write a post to show your award
- Give a brief story of how your blog started
- Give two pieces of advice to new bloggers
- Select 15 other bloggers you want to give this award to
- Comment on each blog and let them know you have nominated them & provide the link to the post you created
The Origin Story (not brief I’m sorry):
My blog actually has multiple beginnings. October of 2014 is when I started with this URL. Obviously I’ve kept it, but it started out as a travel blog. I was going to study abroad in London, England and I was going through all of the steps to get an internship over there. I wanted my family to be able to read all about my trip and the weekend trips and how my internship was going etc.
My internship was at Simon and Schuster UK in the children’s/ YA marketing department and I interacted with a lot of book bloggers, something I didn’t even know existed at the time. I got to send out review copies and read all of their reviews and make the posters for bookish events and I fell in love with the sense of community they had.
I didn’t want to bombard my family with a ton of posts about books because they get my posts via email, so I created a second blog on blogger called Jinkies Books (Scooby-Doo reference) but I didn’t want to maintain both so after graduating college I spent a long time (it’s not even fully done yet- nor will it probably ever be) converting tags and categories to what they should be, creating featured images etc. A lot got lost in the importation formatting wise.
I decided to keep this URL because I like WordPress more and I couldn’t part with the URL, at the time I did have more followers on Jinkies Books. In my mind it’s JK I’m Exploring and then the subtitle part is “the world, books, life” but I have that absolutely nowhere on here.
Advice for beginners:
- Don’t post just to have something. When I started out I did NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month) and I have so many horrible posts that I did at like 11 pm just to have something to post. This was less than a month after I started my blog and I didn’t have any ideas about what to post. They’re horrible and an embarassment.
- Stop looking at the stats page. I don’t have a ton of followers but I have a lot of people on Twitter I interact with who are absolutely amazing and I really don’t care how many people view each post. I’m having so much more fun with it than I was before and am getting more interaction because of it. Focus on the people who interact with you and interact back and it will do so much more than if you just keep staring at the stats page.
Bloggers I’m Nominating:
I’m not going to check to see if you have done it before so if you have I’m sorry, you don’t have to do it again.
- AJ @ Read All The Things
- Tina @ As Told By Tina
- Ashley @ Falling Down The Book Hole
- Zoe @ Abooktasia
- Kaeley @ Spoilers May Apply
- Jessica @ Jessica Wellik James and Rereadability
- Jacquelyn @ YA Bookmark
- Courtney @ Curly Book Owl
- Regina @ Bookish In Bed
- Katie @ Bookwise
- Laura @ Boats Against The Current
- Holly @ Nut Free Nerd
- Jen @ The Bookavid
- Jordon @ Simply Adrift
- Anyone else who is inspired by this post
Some of these people are people I’ve known since I started blogging and others were people I literally just started following. The order of or if you are or aren’t on this list does not mean I don’t love you. I tend to follow most people on Twitter or WordPress or Bloglovin’ so it took a while to go through all of them